Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 1, 2009

Final blog from Iraq

So I know what you all are thinking… What has been up with Joe, the blog has slowed to stop for the past few months, and we have heard less and less news of what was going on . Well first off, things are good here, in fact I am wrapping up my last few days in theater before beginning the slow trek back home. Abby and I are excited for the big family reunion coming, and thankful for surviving another successful deployment.

So what has been up , you might be asking? I will summarize in a few short sentences that hopefully everyone can understand and relate to. I believe Abby inspired this short thought about what has been going on the last few months, “We have faced some of the most challenging times physically, and emotionally, survived if not triumphed, and in all cases it was possible only because of what God has been doing in our lives. “

Much of what has happened has been a real challenge, and only in the end upon reflection can we begin to glean the lessons, and see the growth in us that has resulted from all of this. I suspect that is why I haven’t had much energy to blog, most of my energy was expent on just enduring the daily trials, and performing my job as a soldier, a husband, and father. I do intend to journal/blog some of the individual experiences over the next few months, because I have enjoyed sharing the experience here in Iraq with all my friends and family, as well hope to have a source to look back on this deployment in future years.

Here are just a few snippets of what occurred since my last journal in March:

Finished a 6 building renovation project in Iraq; the washer broke at home was temporarily repaired, then broke and flooded the garage (poor Abby), and we got a brand new washer; the garage side door fell off, Abby became a regular at Home Depot; I experienced the local food, and then soon after spent days recovering, Pepto Bismal, Immodium, 400 mg Ibuprofen are a soldiers best friend; I took a 4 day pass in Qatar (google it) enjoyed my time, and came back to a behind schedule project; spent the month of April and 18 hr days getting caught up on project; listened and watched as Abby and the girls each got colds and sinus infections galore, many times all three at once, including Abby losing her voice; started and completed a townhome renovation project, with Abby as the foreman, Abby’s dad as the lead construction man, and many family,friends, and contractors pitching in to complete the 1 month renovation of our townhome so we could get new renters in it; participated in a Army Brigade turnover of duties from the New Jersey National Guard to the Wisconsin National Guard for the support the International Zone in Iraq; conducted my own turnover a week later with my relief (and my new best friend!).

Shortly I will be posting a video and a magazine highlighting some of my experiences here in the IZ to help celebrate the end of the deployment, but stayed tuned for future blogs, and feel free to email me any time (joseph.j.keller@gmail.com).

Well that is all I have time for, gotta finishing packing ! :)

Take care everyone and God bless.

Joe

No comments: